Lawsuit of the Day: Filmmakers Say “Happy Birthday” is in Public Domain, Sues Warner for Collecting Royalties
For more than two decades, filmmakers and video producers have paid Warner/Chappell Music licensing fees to use the “Happy Birthday” song. And for many years, the American music publishing company has claimed that the intellectual property rights to the song will remain privately owned until 2030—but maybe not for long. The filmmakers behind an upcoming documentary, tentatively titled “Happy Birthday,” has filed a lawsuit against Warner/Chappell with a huge body of evidence supporting that the the song has actually been in the public domain since the 1920s. If ruled in their favor, the music may have to return the hundreds of millions they’ve improperly charged in licensing fees since.
Mama Purnell designed graduation thank you cards for me. @artinibar
1. White terrorists are called “gunmen.” What does that even mean? A person with a gun? Wouldn’t that be, like, everyone in the US? Other terrorists are called, like, “terrorists.”
2. White terrorists are “troubled loners.” Other terrorists are always suspected of being part of a global plot, even when they are obviously troubled loners.
3. Doing a study on the danger of white terrorists at the Department of Homeland Security will get you sidelined by angry white Congressmen. Doing studies on other kinds of terrorists is a guaranteed promotion.
4. The family of a white terrorist is interviewed, weeping as they wonder where he went wrong. The families of other terrorists are almost never interviewed.
5. White terrorists are part of a “fringe.” Other terrorists are apparently mainstream.
6. White terrorists are random events, like tornadoes. Other terrorists are long-running conspiracies.
7. White terrorists are never called “white.” But other terrorists are given ethnic affiliations.
8. Nobody thinks white terrorists are typical of white people. But other terrorists are considered paragons of their societies.
9. White terrorists are alcoholics, addicts or mentally ill. Other terrorists are apparently clean-living and perfectly sane.
10. There is nothing you can do about white terrorists. Gun control won’t stop them. No policy you could make, no government program, could possibly have an impact on them. But hundreds of billions of dollars must be spent on police and on the Department of Defense, and on TSA, which must virtually strip search 60 million people a year, to deal with other terrorists.”
Juan Cole, 08/09/2012
Juan Cole actually wrote this 4 days after a white terrorist, yes, terrorist, murdered 6 and injured 4 people at a Sikh gurdwara in Wisconsin. The terrorist who committed said crime spoke of an impending “racial holy war” beforehand and was a member of white supremacist/neo-Nazi hate groups.
Based in Brighton, England, artist Kate Jenkins (previously featured here) creates awesome pieces of crocheted food art. While much of her work depicts foodstuffs from her own country, she recently created a wonderful series of classic American dishes rendered in yarn entitled Kate’s Diner.
All of Kate’s crocheted artwork looks good enough to eat or rest our heads and take a nap on, during which time we would no doubt dream about food.
The Root Cause of Diabetes Has Been Identified
A quote from the article
Fiorina and his team studied hundreds of pathways in animals with diabetes. They eventually isolated one, known as ATP/P2X7R, which triggers the T-cell attacks on the pancreas, rendering it unable to produce insulin.
“By identifying the ATP/P2X7R pathway as the early mechanism in the body that fires up an alloimmune response, we found the root cause of diabetes,” says Fiorina. “With the cause identified, we can now focus on treatment options. Everything from drug therapies to transplants that require less immunosuppression is being explored.”
THIS IS SO IMPORTANT
The Kahlo family portrait.
Frida (pictured far left in suit) would’ve been 19 at the time.